-4-5 cups farmhouse-style bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
-6 tablespoons butter
-4 apples, chopped into bite size pieces
-2 onions, chopped into bite size pieces
-3 carrots, sliced thinly
-3 ribs celery, sliced thinly
-1 bay leaf
-1 handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
-1 teaspoon dried thyme
-1 teaspoon dried basil
-1 teaspoon dried oregaon
-10 links vegetarian sausage
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 can vegetable broth
-1 handful of chives and dill, chopped
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Scatter bread cubes on a baking sheet. Season bread cubes with parsley, thyme, basil, and oregano. Bake to toast bread for 10-12 minutes.
2. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, apples, bay leaf, chives, and dill. Saute til soft. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Fold in dried breadcrumbs to apple/vegetable mixture. Moisten with about 1 can vegetable broth and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
4. Heat veggie sausage links according to directions on package. Put heated links into apple/vegetable mixture and fold gently. Heat mixture on low heat for 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Be gentle with the veggie sausage links as they are more fragile than actual meat links.
5. Prepare Spicy Mashed Sweet 'Taters.
Spicy Mashed Sweet 'Taters
2 pounds sweet potatoes, 2-3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup orange marmalade or lemon preserves
Salt and pepper
Couple of dashes tabasco sauce (optional)
1. Put potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook potatoes for 12-15 minutes until tender.
2. Drain potatoes. Return pot to stove and warm broth in pot over medium heat.
3. Whisk in butter and marmalade.
4. Add potatoes and mash them in the marmalade infused broth.
5. Season with salt, pepper, and a few dashes of tabasco sauce.
|Mock Sausage'n Apple Dinner with Spicy Mashed Sweet "Taters|
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cost per Serving: $2.66 for 6 servings