Sunday, April 1, 2012

Organic Jam Breakfast Bars

My three little ones, circa 1993

Recently, dear child returned home from college a little early due to health issues.  It was a frightening time for awhile, until number one nurturing mom role kicked in and I began looking at dear child's lifestyle which might have been contributing to some of the trouble.  Young adults are notorious for fast food, store bought-chemical filled processed "yummy" junk, and other substances which will go unnamed.  So I began my current mission to fill my family with organic, healthy food.  It has become my motto as of late, resulting in all of us feeling healthier.  The recently found little perk is that I have been enjoying my time in the kitchen:  cooking, adapting, experimenting and looking for ways to turn what could be store bought junk into homemade, home created goodness.

Hence, Organic Jam Breakfast Bars were created one morning when I knew that I could do better than store brand bars filled with heaven knows how many things I could not pronounce.  I headed to my pantry and nabbed a jar of strawberry-rosemary-sage jam, which I had put up last year from Bountiful Jars blog.  Then I scrounged my pantry shelves until I had just the right mix of ingredients to create these delicious, delectable breakfast bars.  You might give them a try.  I can guarantee if your family is like mine, they will be gone in no time!

Organic Jam Breakfast Bars


Ingredients:
1 cup jam, I used Strawberry-Rosemary-Sage Jam
1 and 3/4 cup quick oats (organic)
1/4 scant cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon maple sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
2 large eggs

Instructions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.  Combine the oats, flours, sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, and maple sugar in a food processor.  Process until the oats are finely ground.
3.  Add oil and eggs.  Pulse to combine, scraping sides of processor bowl to get all the bits combined.
4.  Press half the crumb mixture on the bottom of a 9 inch square inch pan.  Spread jam evenly over the crumb mixture.  Top with remaining half of crumb mixture and gently pat top of bars.  It is important to gently
pat the top to help the layers of the bars to adhere.

5.  Bake 25 minutes, until golden brown.
6.  Completely cool and cut into bars.







Servings: 12
Cost Per Serving:  $0.30

Delicious, delectable Organic Jam Breakfast Bars








No comments:

Post a Comment