Saturday, April 21, 2012

Sunshine Salad


As spring is upon us in the Midwest, I am finding dear family is not wanting to eat same ole, same ole.  The heaviness of winter dishes is getting tiresome.  We have begun craving lighter, more colorful, less cooked foods at mealtimes.  One evening, thinking salad, but not the usual lettuce and Ranch affair, which I can usual get down the fam's gullet, I hit upon Sunshine Salad.  A delicious concoction of winter and early spring veggies in a light, white wine salad dressing.

Now let me tell you about the wine.  We moved into our new home a mere 22 months ago.  It seems every time we invite someone over for dinner, they bring a bottle of wine as a housewarming gift.  No reassurance that the home is warm enough given how long we have now lived in it seems to give anyone pause that we might have plenty of wine in the house.  (Hold on there.  Can you ever have too much wine?  I think not....)  So it was as I stood at my kitchen counter with this wonderful mix of bright colored veggies, that I wondered what might I use as a dressing that would allow the colors to show forth, but provide a depth of flavor to them.  Then I thought of a white wine dressing that I use to make to go on our summer salad and voila; I needed a bottle of white wine immediately.  So I head down to the mancave, where Dear Hubby insists is the best place to keep the wine.  I look at bottle after bottle of every color wine imaginable and finally hit upon a beautiful, ornate fonted wine label with a white wine in the bottle.  Head upstairs and let the magic happen.  As we are all eating this truly delectable dinner, Dear Hubby asks what is in the dressing.  I tell him white wine and a few other ingredients.  He asks which of the many bottles of wine did I use.  I go to the fridge, pull out this delicious, not too sweet and not too tart bottle of yumminess.  Dear Hubby's face goes white as he explains, "You used the $100 bottle of wine from France that I received as a 45th birthday gift?"  Yeah, evidently, Dear Hubby had gotten the gift from a close friend for his birthday FIVE years ago and had kept it squirreled away (Don't you just love that phrase.  I can imagine little squirrels sitting in their holes in the trees chatting about their larders and what they had tucked away in various holes and under rocks and such....).  Yes, Dear Hubby had squirreled it away for a special occasion.  Well I say life is a special occasion so why not use the best wine available, besides that wine brought my salad dressing to a new level of deliciousness.

Wine not withstanding, you are gonna love this salad.  Pretty and delicious!

Sunshine Salad

Salad Ingredients:
1/2 head red cabbage, sliced thinly
1 bunch broccoli, florets separated and part of the stalk sliced thinly
2 apples, cored and diced
3 large carrots, sliced thinly
4-5 green onions, sliced thinly
Salt and Pepper to taste

White Wine Salad Dressing Ingredients:
1/4 cup white wine, use the best you have unless it is part of Big Daddy Squirrel's Larder
1/4 cup white basalmic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil

Instructions:
In a large bowl, combine prepared veggies, mixing gently.

In a small bowl, combine white wine salad dressing ingredients with a wire whisk.

Pour salad dressing over veggies and toss gently.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

Serves 4-6
Cost per Serving:  Depends on the wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment